The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has begun the process of requesting funds from the United States government to continue its biomedical research endeavors. Representatives Ed Markey, D-Mass., and David McKinley, R-W.Va., have drafted a letter to Congress asking for $32 billion to support grants and biomedical research, funds that are necessary to make progress in such critical times for science and health research.
The SRS strongly encourages its members to read the letter and reach out to their representatives in support of this funding increase. Funding from the NIH does a great deal to increase and support the resources available for biomedical research of all kinds, including sleep research.
Tips: Click on www.congress.org to determine your member of the House of Representatives. Enter your zip code and follow the instructions to determine your House member. Contact your Representative by phone and/or email.
1) Identify yourself as a constituent and ask to speak with the legislator's Healthcare Legislative Assistant
2) Tell the aide that you are a member of the Sleep Research Society
3) Ask that the legislator support the Markey-McKinley letter supporting an increase in funding for NIH
4) Briefly explain why the letter and funding for NIH is important to you
5) Give the aide your contact information and ask to be informed about the actions the legislator takes in response to your request
The deadline for Representatives to show support for the Markey-McKinley letter is April 9th, so please encourage your Representatives to take action immediately.